POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Interesting interview questions : Re: Interesting interview questions Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interesting interview questions
From: Invisible
Date: 22 Jan 2010 05:34:19
Message: <4b597f2b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Those old-school tubes get more efficient the more data you have to
>> send. Say
>> you put a harddrive in the tube, the effective bandwidth would be vast
>> compared
>> to even the fastest LAN... ;-D
>
> What about ping time? :-)

Transfer rate /= latency. ;-)

Somebody suggested that by burning data onto a CD-ROM and getting
students to cycle to the other side of Cambridge with the CDs in
backpacks, you could achieve several GB/s mean transfer rate. Of course,
the packet latency would be about 25 minutes each way…

(Of course, use DVD-ROM - or BluRay - and it improves even more!)

I wonder - what happens if you combine RFC 1149 with USB flash drives?

Required XKCD reference:
http://www.xkcd.com/691/